Subject Leader: Mrs Taft
At Hatch Warren Junior School, we believe mathematics equips pupils with a unique set of powerful tools to understand the world and how it operates. These tools include logical reasoning, problem solving skills and the ability to think in abstract ways.
Mathematics is essential to everyday life, critical in science, technology, engineering, finance and in most forms of employment. With this in mind, we endeavour to ensure that children develop an enthusiastic attitude towards mathematics that will stay with them for life.
We want all children at Hatch Warren Junior School to see themselves as confident and independent mathematicians and to:
- Develop a thorough and broad understanding of all areas of maths through frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time
- Develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately
- Be able to reason mathematically, developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
- Solve problems by applying their maths knowledge in a variety of contexts, including breaking down problems into a series of smaller steps
- Develop resilience when approaching problem-solving and use different strategies when seeking solutions
- Make rich connections across mathematical ideas to develop fluency, reasoning and competence in solving increasingly sophisticated problems.
Vision, intent and implementation
HWJS Calculation Policy
What is expected of children by the end of each year?